Monday 15 September 2014

NL-2653354 Lighthouse Noordwijk Aan Zee, South Holland

The white, square, pyramidal stone lighthouse at Noordwijk Aan Zee dates back to 1922.  Old records indicate that a light (a big bonfire on the beach) was in use at Noordwijk since 1444 to help fishermen. Other lights have succeeded it since then.

The current lighthouse was declared a national monument in 1980. It has 6 floors and 104 steps and the tower height is 84m.  The tower was renovated in 2004. This lighthouse is currently operational and serves as an operational aid to navigation.

This postcard came from Edith (15 September 2014) Postcrossing.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this I learn a lot about the lighthouse In Noordwijk aan zee, that I have never known.
    I see it sometimes when I go to the coast (about one hour from my hometown).
    It is nice to read this information about it !
    Thank you Tom ! Sender of the card: Edith.

    ReplyDelete